Monday, September 18, 2017

R.I.P.: Pete Turner (1934-2017)

R.I.P.: Pete Turner, at age 83 (the picture shows Turner working on the image of Jorge Pescara's Grooves In The Temple album that I produced.) 

My favorite photographer ever. Simply the best and most creative photographer ever. The association with Bob Ciano and Sam Antupit during the CTI years is historical. 

Last year we lost Rudy Van Gelder. Now, Pete Turner. Creed is suffering a lot, we are all suffering a lot. Too many losses in the CTI family in recent years. Can't find enough words to describe my admiration for him. I was blessed with the chance to have his photos on albums that I produced (Jorge Pescara's Grooves In The Temple, and Rodrigo Lima's Saga) for my JSR label, as well as to be associated with him through several CD reissues of CTI/Kudu albums I produced or supervised and/or annotated, thanks to Creed and Douglas Payne. Among them: several reissues of Deodato's "Prelude" and "In Concert - Live At Felt Forum," Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Stone Flower," Hank Crawford's "I Hear A Symphony," Stanley Turrentine's "Salt Song" etc.

One of the saddest days in my entire life. Btw, i'ts also important to mention that Pete's immense and brilliant body of work didn't end in the 70s. Neither his association with Creed Taylor ended in the 70s. CTI didn't ended in the 70s (although the label heyday happened in that period.) Pete continued to collaborate with Creed during the 80s, 90s and 2000s, not only in album covers for CTI, but also as director of cinematography of such CTI video releases like Jim Beard's "Song Of The Sun" LaserDisc (1991). The last Pete Turner work for CTI was CTI All-Stars' "Live At Montreux 2009" released on Blu-ray, DVD and CD formats in 2010.

My condolences to his wife Reine Turner, their son Alex, and all the Turner Family. 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: