Friday, February 27, 2009

Alexa Weber Morales live, tonight, in San Jose

Alexa Weber Morales, my favorite Bay Area latin jazz singer, will be appearing tonight in San Jose. She will be joined by Omar Ledezma on percussion and vocals and Murray Low on keyboards at the the swanky Hotel De Anza. Come on down and say hi! You deserve this pleasure.

Friday, February 27th, 2009
Hot Hot Hot Jazzzzzz - 8:30 - 12:30 PM
The Hedley Club at the De Anza Hotel
233 West Santa Clara Street
San Jose, CA 95113
Ph: 408/286-1000
********
On another subject, I got this message from AWB:

"After much internal debate, I decided to go for it, folks! I enjoyed the physical and philanthropic challenge of training for last year's Wildflower Olympic Triathlon so much that I had to repeat the experience! I had hoped to sign up for the Escape from Alcatraz, even though it scares the bejeezus out of me, but I didn't get a spot in the race via the lottery. So ... I'm back for another year as a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training, and my goal is to improve my time on the Wildflower Olympic distance triathlon," Alexa says. "Heck, given my schedule I'll be happy to complete it again!"

The scenic Wildflower triathlons are held on May 2 at Lake San Antonio in Monterey County, California. The Olympic distance consists of a 1500 meter (.9 mile) swim, a 40 km (25 mile) bike race and a 10 km (6.2 mile) run. Last year I believe my time was around two and a half hours. I guess I ought to go back and look.

More important than my time is my purpose, however. All of us on Team In Training are raising funds to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives. I am completing this event in honor of my grandmother, who died of leukemia as a young mother. Through Team in Training I have met many other cancer survivors, young and old, who inspire me to live as fully as I can.

That's why I humbly ask you to please help advance LLS's mission by making a donation.
Last year, with your help I raised over $3000. This year, I'm aiming for $2500. This is a quality charity that uses 80% of all donations to directly fund cancer researchers, clinicians and patients. In this economy, LLS has made sure that it runs as efficiently as possible so that your generosity can have the profoundest effect on the lives of cancer patients. You will get a tax receipt via email immediately upon making a donation.

No comments: